Do you usually hire an accountant to do your taxes? If so, I encourage you to save some money this year and give TurboTax a try! I’ve personally used TurboTax to file my own taxes for over 10 years now and have been extremely satisfied by how easy it is to use, even if you are a small business owner! I’m actually about 90% done with our taxes this year already thanks to TurboTax (OK that and maybe a couple cups of coffee). 😉
TurboTax is free to use and prepare your taxes – there is no software to buy or install either. If you are just filing a 1040EZ it’s free to file online as well. If you do need to file a different version, you can pay at the point of filing online (if you so choose). I’ve used the Home & Business version the last three years and the price on that is $74.99. I’ve been extremely happy with that version!
Here are some things I love the most about TurboTax:
- It walks you through. I really think just about anyone could use TurboTax. It’s ridiculously user friendly and walks you through what you need to do complete your taxes. It asks you questions, gives you help, and there’s even an online forum/web chat if you get stuck. It will also do a review before you file to make sure you’ve entered everything in completely.
- It remembers your previous data! It’s so nice to start a new return and find that much of last year’s information is still in there. For instance, I can easily see the deductions I entered the previous year to help me remember if I have similar ones to report for this year. I can also easily retrieve, print, and save pdf versions of past taxes.
- The in-progress refund tracker. This is probably my favorite feature! Each time you make and save an entry, your refund/amount owed will adjust right on the spot. I love knowing how each piece of information I enter impacts my taxes.
- I can work on it over a period of time. I actually started my return at the end of 2012 and I can slowly work on it right up until tax time. This is a good thing, because I usually think of other things I can add as I go. You can save and stop anytime you wish. Because it’s web-based, you can work on it from any computer that has a secure Internet connection, too.
- Fast refund. If you are expecting a tax refund, I’ve found you get it really quick when you file online. I’ve gotten our refund in about two weeks from filing in the past. It’s nice to get that money quickly.
If you’re still on the fence? I’d say – give TurboTax a try FIRST. It’s free, and you really have nothing to lose. If you decide you still want to go to an accountant, well, at that point you’ll have gathered all your documents anyways, right? Or like me, you could get totally hooked and decide to use TurboTax for good!