When you think of Yelp, what comes to mind? A social site you occasionally use to find a place to eat? A place you go to vent about bad customer service you received at a business? Or maybe. nothing comes to mind at all?
If that’s the case, let’s clear up what Yelp is. Here’s the description, from the website: “Yelp is the best way to find great local businesses.” Users can create free accounts and leave ratings and reviews about businesses in their area. You can search the site to locate places near you and read what others have said (an account is not required for this part!).
Over the past few years, I’ve used Yelp in many different ways that have helped me save time and money. Here are some examples:
- I used Yelp to locate a dog groomer in my area.
- I used Yelp to find my dermatologist.
- I used Yelp to decide between a couple chuckwagon-style dinner shows in Jackson, Wyoming.
- I used Yelp to find a Southern-style restaurant in Tennessee (and adhered to the tips to make reservations!).
- I used Yelp to find a car rental company near LAX that would provide the fastest service possible.
It recently occurred to me that many people may not have considered how Yelp can be best used to help them save money. As I mulled this over, I decided I wanted to do a series just on Yelp! The purpose of this series is twofold:
- To illustrate how versatile Yelp can be to help you identify all kinds of businesses and services that will save you time and money.
- To highlight specific businesses in my area that I have discovered using Yelp (and what search criteria I used to find them).
Each Monday and Friday for the month of May, I’ll be sharing a fun, new-to-me place I uncovered in my neighborhood thanks to Yelp. I’ll start next Monday (May 4th) by sharing my best tips for maximizing your Yelp searches (and expanding your idea of exactly what you can search for on Yelp to begin with).
I hope that this series will give you one more tool in your toolkit to finding deals in your next of the woods. I hope you’ll have fun exploring my city with me this month, too!
Now it’s your turn: do you use Yelp regularly? Has it ever helped you save money? I’d love to hear some of your stories.
Disclosure: I am not affiliated with or sponsored by Yelp in any way. In other words, no one from Yelp reached out to me and offered to pay me to come up with this series. I just really like the site and thought it would make a cool series.