Summer is marching right along and it’s now AUGUST! I wanted to take some time out to share my thoughts for what we might expect to see on sale, plus give you a preview of the fun and frugal things I’ll be doing at the blog.
August: What Goes on Sale
Looking at past years’ trends, here are some of my predictions for what I imagine we’ll see on sale this month.
- Back to School. We should continue to see back to school sales ramp up through the month of August. I’ve been reporting on several stores on a weekly basis and will continue this through August. (Here’s the current week’s deals in case you missed them.) For more detailed information about capturing the best school deals, please see my back to school shopping tips which includes a free pricepoints download.
- More BBQ. As we move into Labor Day, look for more barbecue sauce, ribs, ketchup, mayonnaise, and hot dogs. These sales won’t be around much longer, so now’s your time to stock up.
- Cheese. I’ve noted strong deals on cheese (particularly shreds) for the last couple years running in August including Kraft, Tillamook, and store brands.
- Kraft, Keebler, Kelloggs. Keep an eye on these brands. In years past, we’ve seen “back to school” rebate and specially-marked coupon booklets for Keebler and Kelloggs. Many Kraft branded items lend themselves well to summer cooking, so I wouldn’t at all be surprised if we see more Kraft coupons this month.
- Peanut Butter/Jelly. Around back to school time, keep an eye out for peanut butter and jelly deals. Last year’s stock up price was $1/jar, but given the peanut butter price hike, you might consider stocking up if it dips to $1.50.
- Free Car Wash Day. Well, this isn’t so much a sale, but an annual promotion I like to keep my eye out for. Usually every August (around the 3rd week in) Brown Bear Car Wash gives a “customer appreciation day” and offers a free car wash. I’ll definitely report on this as soon as I can find the details.
Remember, this is more “best guess” than a promise. Stuff does change year over year. Don’t forget to download my FREE Store Sales Cycles sheet for more information.
August: What’s up at the Blog?
As usual, I have a few things planned.
- Frump to Fabulous Giveaway. In case you missed it, make sure to check out the awesome Fred Meyer giveaway I’m running! Three readers will win $100 makeovers (please note you must be able to attend the event in order to claim the prize).
- Back to School Weekly Reports. Each Monday, you can look for a back-to-school deal list! This list includes Fred Meyer, Walgreens, Target, Office Max, Staples, and Office Depot all on ONE post. No more hunting through multiple posts to find the best deals! (Here’s the current week’s list.)
- Healthy Lunch Ideas. Last year, I ran a reader-based series on healthy kids’ lunches. I don’t have any series planned per se (I’m sort of taking a breath after concluding the Love: in a Jar series last night), but I do plan on sharing some tips for packing a better lunch as well as revisit some of the recipes you sent last year!
- Grocery Outlet Giveaway. Look for another two $25 gift card giveaway coming mid-month courtesy of my friends at Grocery Outlet.
What else would you like to see this month? What else would you say goes on sale in August?