Welcome to July! It’s been awhile since I’ve done one of these “start of the month” posts, so I thought I’d do one for July. What do you think – is it helpful to have a post like this so you know what to watch for sales-wise? Please weigh in. I’m happy to bring them back if there’s interest.
Sales to watch for in July
One of the biggest ways you can save money is to time your purchases to sales. Are you surprised I didn’t say coupons was the #1 way? In my experience, coupons are the icing on the cake – they drive your price down and often work to turn a good deal into a great deal. It’s really that sweet combination of sales + coupons you’re looking for. (And for those that don’t want to cut coupons, just watch the sales – you’ll still save a killing!) As a reminder, I have a FREE Sales Cycle sheet download you can view or print at any time.
Based on prior years, here are the sales and deals I think we should watch for in July:
- Condiments. With 4th of July and barbecue season upon us, this is one of the best times of year to watch for deals on items like mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, relish, and pickles.
- Razors, shaving gel, sunscreen. Also due to the summer season, this is a good time of year to stock up on razors and shaving gel as well as sunscreen. Fred Meyer has offered name-brands for about $4.99 right now after in-store coupons. I consider this pretty good. You can often best this price at the drugstores, but be prepared for scenarios that involve multiple coupons, rebate offers, and the like.
- Cheese. I’ve noted good deals on cheese for July, particularly bags of shredded cheese. Watch Kraft, in particular. They seem to release coupons about this time of year. (I see this $0.75/1 Kraft Cheese printable coupon available today!)
- School supplies. UGH. I don’t know about you, but I’m SO.NOT.READY. to deal with back to school yet – didn’t we just get out of school? Whether or not you’re in the mood, the truth is the back to school sales will start soon. In fact, I noticed some in this week’s Fred Meyer ad. I’ll likely start reporting on these again soon. Not feeling it? Don’t worry – good sales run through August. Pick up when you’re ready!
- Free Slurpee 7/11. In past years, 7-11 has offered a free 7.11 oz Slurpee on 7/11. I imagine they’ll be doing this again, though I’ve not seen a press release as of this posting. I’ll update with details when I find them.
- Target Toy Clearance. Many folks enjoy hunting for the 70% off toy clearance markdowns which have historically taken place at Target sometime in July. Please note that this is NOT an advertised event and varies from store to store. As word about the markdowns has gotten out in recent years, I find it’s often more headache than it’s worth. (Yet, I’ll still do my best to report on it for you.) I much prefer Fred Meyer, which also tends to markdown their clearance toys by 70% and has much less bargain shopper competition.
These are just a few highlights – I’d love to hear what you’d say are some top deals to watch for in July, too!
July at The Coupon Project
Here are some of the things you can watch for this month at The Coupon Project:
- Bulk Freezer Meal post! This week, I’m processing a ton of chicken for freezer meals. If you’ve been curious on how to do this, stay tuned. I’ll be walking you through how I organize a monster freezer meal prep session and what I make.
- School supplies. I’ll be providing some price points of good prices for school supplies as well as preparing you for the sales ahead.
- Gardening/DIY. My husband and I have decided to tackle a garden shed project in the backyard. Not sure if that’s happening this month or next – but I’ll be happy to update you on our progress. My husband also recently installed a new kitchen faucet and I decided to snap some pictures so I could write a DIY post for you!
Of course, my team and I will continue to provide grocery highlights, Amazon deals, local deals, awesome recipes, tips, and more throughout the month. I’m also considering post series ideas for fall and the holidays. If you have any ideas, I’d love to hear ’em!
As always, I’m here to help you. If you have specific sales you’d like me to watch for, stores you think should be on my radar, or other ideas, please let me know. Leave a comment below or email me at angela @ thecouponproject dot com.