One of my favorite toys growing up was the coveted play kitchen. The best play kitchens have a variety of features that help make them feel as authentic as possible.
In this article, we’re sharing information about play kitchens for a variety of age groups that can help you find the best one for the child you love.
Table of Contents
- The Best Play Kitchens on the Market
- 1. Melissa & Doug Chef’s Kitchen
- 2. Step2 Fun With Friends Kitchen
- 3. KidKraft Ultimate Corner Play Kitchen with Lights & Sounds
- 4. KidKraft Wooden Farm to Table Play Kitchen
- 5. KidKraft Mosaic Magnetic Play Kitchen
- 6. Step2 Best Chef’s Kitchen
- 7. KidKraft Large Pastel Play Kitchen
- 8. Tiny Land Play Kitchen
- 9. Step2 Lifestyle Dream Kitchen
- 10. TP Junior Chef Wooden Mud Kitchen
The Best Play Kitchens on the Market
We’ve chosen some of the best play kitchens on the market for you to consider giving to the child in your life.
Among other factors, we made our choices based on age range, price, consumer reviews, and features.
- COMPLETE WOODEN PLAY KITCHEN: The Melissa & Doug Wooden Chef’s Pretend Play Toy Kitchen includes oven, stove, microwave, sink,...
- DURABLE PRETEND PLAY KITCHEN: The Melissa & Doug Chef’s Kitchen is a durable, wooden play kitchen with ample storage space for...
1. Melissa & Doug Chef’s Kitchen
Melissa & Doug is well known for making high-quality wood toys and games for kids, and this kitchen is no exception.
The company’s Wooden Chef’s Pretend Play Toy Kitchen comes with fun features such as a microwave, full oven/range, and a refrigerator with an “ice” maker.
This wooden kitchen is painted in a stainless steel gray to fit in with today’s décor standards. You can also choose the white version.
The dials spin, the microwave plate turns, and it has a shopping list so that your chef can write down all of their grocery needs.
There is ample storage and shelving space with this kitchen, making it good for storing separately purchased accessories.
Melissa & Doug also offers a coordinating pot and pan set, and a play food set as well.
This kitchen is designed for kids age 3 and up. The set does require assembly.
The assembled size is approximately 39 x 43 x 15. Buyers love the realistic feel of the kitchen and the sturdy construction.
Shipping weight: 31 pounds
Recommended age: 36 months to 6 years
What we like best: Realistic design with fun features
- Pretend stovetop burner features realistic electronic lights and sounds, activated with the special frying pan and boiling pot...
- Make a cup of coffee with the pretend single-serve coffee maker station and included travel mug!
2. Step2 Fun With Friends Kitchen
The Step2 Fun With Friends Kitchen comes with a pretend stovetop burner, a molded-in sink and faucet, a microwave with clickable knobs, and a refrigerator.
It also has a single-serve coffee maker that includes a play travel mug. Lights and sounds help make kitchen play feel more realistic.
This kitchen has a little pet food/water bowl station as well and comes with a 24-piece set of pots, pans, utensils, and condiments.
Although not as realistic as some other kitchen sets made for older kids, this Step2 set looks like it’s loads of fun to play with.
It’s colorful, and the noises and sounds add to the fun. There are storage hooks for hanging dishes and utensils on.
Dimensions are roughly 12 x 36 x 41 and assembly is required. And it comes with Step2’s commitment to safety and usability.
Shipping weight: 24 pounds
Recommended age: 24 months to 10 years
What we like best: Fun extras like lights, sounds, hanging hooks, and a pet food/water station
RELATED: 9 Best Outdoor Baby Swings
- Innovative corner design
- Burners have realistic lights and sound
3. KidKraft Ultimate Corner Play Kitchen with Lights & Sounds
If you’re searching for a sturdy play kitchen that will hold up to hours of play, this might be your best choice.
The KidKraft Ultimate Corner Wooden Play Kitchen with Lights & Sounds is made of prefabricated fiberboard (MDF) and plastic for sturdy construction.
This kitchen includes an oven and stovetop, microwave, refrigerator with bottom pull-out freezer, and washing machine.
It comes with a removable sink for easy clean-up and a cordless phone with a wall mount and a hands-free clip.
The kitchen has shelving for storage, hooks for hanging cups and other dishes, and curtains in the window.
The stove burners come with lights and sounds, and the faux brick backsplash is a cute touch.
This kitchen’s corner design is a nice touch. According to comments, assembly will take some time so be prepared. No accessories are included.
Shipping weight: 54 pounds
Recommended age: 36 months to 8 years
What we like best: A sturdy choice that comes with a washing machine and lights/sounds
RELATED: 10 Best LEGO Tables
- Recognized for its garden-to-plate play, kitchen provides hands-on experience for kids
- Kids can “grow” veggies in planter boxes that fit right over the kitchen ledge. Even write the name on the chalkboard label
4. KidKraft Wooden Farm to Table Play Kitchen
The KidKraft Wooden Farm to Table Play Kitchen is a kitchen meant to enhance the hands-on experience for kids.
This play kitchen set comes with vegetable planter boxes that sit nicely on the back ledge of the kitchen.
You can “grow” carrots and onions, and even write the names of the veggies on the planter box chalkboards.
The “harvested” carrots and onions have self-adhesive closures so kids can “cut” them before cooking.
The two wood-look fabric storage bins fit nicely in the kitchen or can be used to bring play food and accessories to another room.
This set also comes with play ice cubes, a cutting board, a cutting accessory with a non-sharp plastic edge, cooking pots, and utensils.
A farmhouse-style sink, refrigerator with an ice maker, and an oven with a real window for viewing add to the fun. Dimensions are approximately 44 x 13 x 43.
Shipping weight: 57 pounds
Recommended age: 36 months to 10 years
What we like best: True farm-to-table experience
- Ice maker with 3 pretend ice cubes
- Magnetic refrigerator and top freezer with 1 sheet of magnets included
5. KidKraft Mosaic Magnetic Play Kitchen
The KidKraft Mosaic Magnetic Play Kitchen is a simple, affordable play kitchen with fun accessories.
The refrigerator and top-style freezer are magnetic, and the set comes with a sheet of magnetic stickers for kids who want a kitchen that looks like so many real-life kitchens in houses with toddlers.
The microwave and oven have windows, and the refrigerator comes with an ice maker and three faux ice cubes.
The mosaic backsplash is a nice touch, and there are hanging hooks to hang utensils.
You’ll get a ladle, a pan, a spatula, and salt and pepper shakers with the set too. The sink is removable for easy clean-up.
There is storage space under the microwave and a storage shelf on the top of the kitchen set.
This kitchen measures approximately 41 x 13 x 40. The manufacturer says this wood construction kitchen is easy to assemble.
Shipping weight: 37.9 pounds
Recommended age: 36 months to 8 years
What we like best: Cute kitchen with plenty of features and an affordable price; the magnets and magnetic refrigerator are a fun addition
- Little chefs will appreciate every detail in this realistic kids’ kitchen Playset by Step2. The best chef’s kitchen is perfect...
- The play kitchen set has an open design and lots of accessories encourage imaginative social play and sharing with friends!
6. Step2 Best Chef’s Kitchen
The Step2 Best Chefs Kitchen Playset is designed to encourage imaginative play for younger kids.
This kitchen comes with a faux coffee maker, recycle bin, and realistic appliances with working doors.
It also has hanging hooks, a shelf for condiments and dishes, and features realistic lights and sounds.
The kitchen comes with a 25-piece accessory kit that includes pots, pans, utensils, the coffee maker, and more.
It does include working doors, but the window on the oven is a sticker and not an actual window.
It’s a lightweight set at just under 21 pounds. Dimensions are approximately 11 x 34 x 38. However, commenters say it is a sturdy set.
This kitchen is the least expensive of the choices given here. However, it’s a good value for the money.
Shipping weight: 20.7 pounds
Recommended age: 24 months to 5 years
What we like best: Great choice if you’re not looking to spend a lot of cash and looking for a kitchen suited for younger kids
RELATED: 10 Best Toddler Climbing Toys
- Refrigerator, freezer, oven, cabinet and microwave doors open and close
- Oven and sink knobs click and turn
7. KidKraft Large Pastel Play Kitchen
The KidKraft Wooden Large Pastel Play Kitchen has a bit of a sixties vibe with baby blue, pink, and yellow coloring, and a faux tile backsplash.
It’s large enough for multiple kids to play on at once.
All of the doors in this kitchen open and close. The knobs turn and click, and the sink is removable for easy clean-up.
There are see-through windows on the oven and the microwave. There is storage both above and below the sink.
And this kitchen comes with hanging hooks and a play cell phone that includes a hands-free clip.
The kitchen is made of wood and MDF materials and features child-safe paint. Dimensions are approximately 42 x 17 x 43. No accessories included aside from the phone.
Commenters remark that it will take a few hours to assemble. However, it’s a heavy-duty kitchen that should last a long time with proper use.
Shipping weight: 71 pounds
Recommended age: 36 months to 8 years
What we like best: Sturdy play kitchen with fun features; reasonably priced; a good value for a well-built set
- ⭐Wooden Play Kitchen: Made of eco-friendly, non-toxic wood, BPA-free. This space-friendly toy kitchen is 31in wide and 12in deep...
- ⭐Ready to Play Immediately: Come with many accessories, including cutting food, toy kitchen sets, a chef hat, and apron....
8. Tiny Land Play Kitchen
The Tiny Land Play Kitchen for Kids is different in that the height is adjustable so that it can “grow” with your kids.
This kitchen is made with eco-friendly wood, is non-toxic, and is BPA-free. It comes with a host of accessories including a chef’s hat, apron, cutting food, utensils, and some dishes.
There are some lights and sounds with this set, and the refrigerator comes with a faux ice cube maker and two faux ice cubes.
The style of this kitchen is akin to shabby chic and comes with a pretend subway tile backsplash.
The kitchen’s exhaust hood is a cute touch and has coordinating exhaust fan sounds.
Hanging hooks for utensils and a small counter space complete the set.
Dimensions for this set are approximately 30 x 9 x 40. You can adjust the height from the bottom to three different heights: 38.5 in., 40 in., and 40.7 in.
Shipping weight: 30 pounds
Recommended age: 3 years and up
What we like best: Fun style with lights and sounds; includes ample accessories for hours of fun
- Realistic electronic features, included accessories, and molded-in appliances make this kids kitchen Playset one that junior chefs...
- Realistic kitchen detailing includes framed window, molded-in sink with swivel faucet, microwave and oven with working keypads,...
9. Step2 Lifestyle Dream Kitchen
The Step2 Lifestyle Dream Kitchen has a host of features that make it worth the money.
It has molded-in appliances for endurability and realistic lights and sounds. The faux granite countertop and faux subway tile backsplash look surprisingly realistic.
The kitchen packs a lot into one playset, and because of that, some features are smaller. The refrigerator is smaller and so is the cooktop space.
On the upside, there is a pull-out silverware drawer and plenty of storage space. The microwave and the oven have workable keypads.
This kitchen comes with a cell phone and with a few dozen other accessories. There’s also a dishes storing rack above the sink.
Accessories include play food, pots, pans, utensils, dishes, and a recycle bin. Dimensions are approximately 15 x 35 x 45.
Shipping weight: 38 pounds
Recommended age: 24 months to 6 years
What we like best: Higher-end play kitchen with lots of realistic features, lights, and sounds
- IMAGINATIVE PLAY: Mud pies and puddle pops are on the menu at the Muddy Maker Mud Kitchen! Let your kid’s imagination run wild...
- INCLUDES: Wet and dry activity areas, hob and “mud kitchen” stencils, oven door, removable splash tub, storage, hanging rail,...
10. TP Junior Chef Wooden Mud Kitchen
Mud kitchens are all the rage these days…and why not? Let your kiddo turn that mud and twigs into mud pies with this TP Junior Chef Wooden Mud Kitchen.
This kitchen includes wet and dry activity areas, an oven door, storage, hanging rail, and more. There’s also a removable splash tub that you can fill with water and/or clean as needed.
It’s made from FSC certified pressure treated European timber wood that is made to withstand being outside in the elements.
This play kitchen also comes with a set of stainless steel pots, pans, and a whisk for imaginary play.
There’s enough room for two to three kids ages 3 and up to play outside to their hearts’ content.
Shipping weight: 26.9 pounds
Recommended age: 36 months to 7 years
What we like best: Made for outdoor play, natural wood and stainless steel accessories, kids can use materials to create recipes
Play kitchens can provide years of fun and learning for kids with a host of different interests. They encourage interactive play and help kids prepare for adulthood.
Choose from a variety of play kitchens in all price ranges and with varying features and accessories.
The right play kitchen for your child will surely entertain them both in alone playtime and when playing with friends and family.