Best Prices on Ham at Grocery Stores
Many people enjoy a festive ham for Easter! If you’re in the same boat, you might be interested in the best prices currently available. Around Thanksgiving, I offer a popular best turkey prices roundup, so this spring I decided to bring back a roundup for the best ham prices at Puget Sound area grocery stores.
Remember when comparing ham prices, that there are different cuts of ham. To make this easier for you, I’ve organized my post by ham type as opposed to store.
We typically see the best ham prices during Easter and Christmas. Here’s a little context of the best prices we’ve seen in recent years:
- 2016 Christmas Season: $1.47/lb
- 2017 Easter Season: $1.37/lb
- 2017 Christmas Season: $1.27/lb
It’s absolutely worth mentioning that many grocery stores will have a surplus of hams that they will mark down immediately following Christmas. I’ve found spiral sliced hams for as low as $0.99/lb. If you don’t mind having ham for New Year’s or later, then make sure to check out your store in the days following Christmas!
Last updated: Thursday, December 13, 2018
My Favorite Ham Deal this Week
My favorite ham deal this year is Fred Meyer’s Kroger Spiral Sliced Ham or QFC’s Hormel 81 Cure Spiral Sliced Ham for $1.27/lb. This offer is good through 12/24 and it matches the lowest price I found for 2017. I don’t see a stated limit you can buy in the ad, but be prepared: it’s possible there’s a limit of 1 or 2 when you get to the store. While Target is offering a lower priced ham at $0.99/lb, it received questionable reviews.
Spiral Sliced Ham Prices
- Fred Meyer: $1.27/lb Kroger Spiral Ham, Bone-in (brown sugar or honey) – through 12/24
- Fred Meyer: $4.99/lb FG Meyer Flame Crafted Spiral Ham – through 12/24
- QFC: $1.287/lb Hormel 81 Cure Spiral Ham, Bone-in (limit 2) – through 12/24
- Costco: I will check this in the next day or so. Last year, readers reported $2.59/lb for Kirkland Signature Mastercarve Half Ham and another for $1.99/lb for Kirkland Spiral Sliced Half Ham
- Trader Joe’s: Maple Bourbon Flavored Glazed Uncured Ham $5.99/lb
- Safeway/Albertsons: $1.29/lb Signature Farms Spiral Sliced Ham – through 12/25
- Safeway/Albertsons: $2.49/1 Hormel 81 Cure Foil-Wrapped Ham, Bone-in – through 12/25
- Target: $1.79/lb Archer Farms Hickory Smoked Spiral Sliced Ham – through 12/24 (save 10% with Cartwheel app!)
- Target: $0.99/lb Market Pantry Hickory Smoked Spiral Sliced Ham – through 12/24 (limit 2)
- Tacoma Boys: prices not listed, but they are taking orders – see website for contact information
- HoneyBaked Ham: you can also purchase a HoneyBaked Ham. They are not cheap, but they are delicious. See the Tacoma store for information on ordering.
- Costco: $1.99/lb Kirland Spiral Sliced Hams – reader report.*
- WinCo: $0.78/lb – reader report.*
* I have not personally verified these prices. It’s possible your store will have different pricing or availability. Please use these figures as ballpark figures only.
Other Ham Prices & Deals
- Safeway/Albertsons: $1.19/lb Signature Farms Shank Half or Whole Ham – through 12/25
- Safeway/Albertsons: $1.29/lb Signature Farms Butt Half Ham – through 12/25 (limit 2)
Ham Dinner Prices
Prices for pre-assembled dinners including sides. I found these up on the websites, not sure if they are for holidays 2016, or still available. I recommend you call ahead.
- Fred Meyer: $59.99 for Spiral Sliced Ham Dinner + sides (feeds 6-8). See fredmeyer.com/preorder for more.
- QFC: $59.99 for Spiral Sliced Ham Dinner + sides (feeds 6-8). See qfc.com/preorder for more.
- Safeway/Albertsons: $59.99 for Spiral Sliced Ham Dinner + sides (feeds 8-10). See safeway.com/orderahead for more.
Not surprisingly, this is also a very good time to score a deal on both canned and fresh pineapple as it typically accompanies ham! Here are a few pineapple deals I’m finding:
- Fred Meyer: $2.50 whole pineapple – through 12/24
- Safeway/Albertsons: $2.50 whole pineapple – through 12/25
- Safeway: $1 canned Dole pineapple – through 12/25
Please let me know if you’re aware of a store or deal I’ve missed!
What is your favorite store to buy ham from? For those that may not purchase ham regularly – do you have any recommendations on the type/portion of ham to buy?